“Whether you think you can, or think you can’t – you’re right.” Henry Ford
With mindset being at the forefront of anything we are looking to achieve in our lives, why do we sometimes neglect it and ignore what it is doing to us?!
The principle is this…
We have a wonderful tool called the ‘mind’. It is a fascinating and amazing instrument through which we learn, gain insight and use our capacity to think in extraordinary ways.
When we want to achieve anything in life, and in this scenario, it is all about building a successful property business (however big or small), then we use our ‘mind’ to set goals, order our thoughts and start the process…
One aspect which is all-too-often overlooked, however, is when we ‘clog up’ this very fine instrument with our ‘own thinking’.
If we experience ‘stress’, ‘overload’, getting ‘caught up in our emotions’ or feeling downright ‘stuck’ during this process, then we are letting our thoughts get the better of us!
At first, you may say to yourself, ‘surely this can’t be true, there must be more to it than that!’ And I’d say back, ‘have you stopped lately to check and see?’
When you interrupt the thinking which is causing you to feel a certain way, then you are more likely to be able to see where your thinking is not helping you!
In contrast to this, when our thinking is clear and focussed on the task in hand, i.e. more neutral, this then gives space for insight and clarity to appear and help us with whatever is going on.
Let me give you an example…
- You are keen and enthusiastic about finding your next property deal.
- You go about your search and activities towards finding your next perfect opportunity.
- It transpires that your search is proving to be harder than you expected and certain avenues are leading to dead ends, either in the form of a lack of potential deals, agents not calling you, offers being rejected and a feeling of your ‘time being wasted’.
- This leads to feelings of frustration, lack of confidence (in yourself and/or the market), uncertainty and possibly other negative emotions.
- With all this going on in your head, your experience continues to be non-productive and you may feel like giving up.
- If, however, you were to stop and take stock of what you are currently thinking, then you can still your whirring mind and see it for what it is really doing…not getting you anywhere!
- You can then allow your mind some space to ‘debunk’ those thoughts and emotions and ‘reset’ itself back to a more conducive way of operating.
- You will be more open to inspiration, thoughts which seem to come ‘out of left-field’, where you may feel to call an agency you’ve never worked with before, or take a drive and notice a homemade ‘For Sale’ sign in the window of the area you are looking in, or an unexpected call comes through from that advert you put out 4 weeks ago…etc.
What I am saying is this…whatever life seems to throw at you, it is up to you how you deal with it.
The question is, will you continue to choose feeling frustration, anger, apathy, inertia when something doesn’t go according to ‘plan’ (according to your negative thoughts), or will you keep an ‘open’ mind and allow more inspired and positive thinking and action in?
The more you can become aware of your thinking and the results it is creating in your world, the more opportunities you will see around you.
The more opportunities you see, the more compelled you will be to just go out there and make it happen.
There is real power in just doing, rather than thinking about doing…
So go on…what are you waiting for?! Go out there and do it!
Enjoy the journey…
…your thoughts on this…? Comments below! Are you aware of how your thoughts have influenced your activites and your experience in property – either positively or negatively? 🙂